IMPORTANT NOTE TAKING NOTES
- You can take notes on this page and email them to yourself at the bottom of the page
- If you navigate away from this page before you email yourself, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR NOTES
- You may take notes anytime and email them to yourself as much as you'd like :)
SUMMER IN THE PSALMS: Psalm 112
Psalm 112 (NIV)
1 Praise the Lord.
Blessed are those who fear the Lord,
who find great delight in his commands.
2 Their children will be mighty in the land;
the generation of the upright will be blessed.
3 Wealth and riches are in their houses,
and their righteousness endures forever.
4 Even in darkness light dawns for the upright,
for those who are gracious and compassionate and righteous.
5 Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely,
who conduct their affairs with justice.
6 Surely the righteous will never be shaken;
they will be remembered forever.
7 They will have no fear of bad news;
their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord.
8 Their hearts are secure, they will have no fear;
in the end they will look in triumph on their foes.
9 They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor,
their righteousness endures forever;
their horn will be lifted high in honor.
10 The wicked will see and be vexed,
they will gnash their teeth and waste away;
the longings of the wicked will come to nothing.
The wisdom of the living for God
1. Fear the Lord
Praise the Lord. Blessed are those who fear the Lord
Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun. Psalm 37:4-6 (NIV)
2. Find great delight in knowing and doing God’s word
great delight in his commands… gracious and compassionate and righteous… generous and lend freely…with justice
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. Psalm 1:1-2 (NIV)
You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. 2 Corinthians 9:11 (NIV)
3. Experience the blessings of loving God and others
the generation of the upright will be blessed. Wealth and riches… and their righteousness endures forever… in darkness light dawns, remembered forever… no fear of bad news…their hearts are steadfast… secure, they will have no fear… lifted high in honor.
The light of the righteous shines brightly, but the lamp of the wicked is snuffed out. Proverbs 13:9 (NIV)
alone and together
PERSONALIZING THE PSALMS
In your time alone with God in scripture reflection, solitude, prayer and journaling, begin with a breath prayer like "Holy Spirit, come," or listen to a song from the playlist. This summer we are focusing on one Psalm per week. Consider using one or more of the practices to reflect on the Psalm.
- Journaling: Write out the Psalm in your journal. Make notes in the margins to amplify or clarify words. Be creative with doodling, drawing, highlighting words or phrases, collaging with cut-out words or pictures. Take your journal with you wherever you go this summer. At the end of the summer you will have a journal full of your own reflections, thoughts and prayers!
- Reading: Take time to slowly read aloud the Psalm. What words or phrases stand out to you? What questions do you have? What feelings arise in you? Which physical response seems appropriate: hands raised or open? head bowed or lifted? standing or seated?
- Memorizing: Commit to memorizing one or more verses.
- Praying: How does this Psalm inspire praise, confession, lament, gratitude, or guidance for yourself, others or the world?